The Best Flapjack Recipe Ever
It's quite a claim but I've done some rigorous testing over the years and this is definitely the best I've ever come across.
450g Golden Syrup
350 - 400g Porridge Oats
Optional: 75g Crystallised Ginger chopped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4. Lightly grease and line a shallow 25 x 20 cm baking tray.
- Put the butter and syrup in a heavy based pan and place over a medium heat. Stir until the butter has melted, then bubble away for about 5 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is a rich golden colour.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats (and ginger if using). You don't want the mixture to become too dry and stodgy so you may not need all the oats. Add them slowly and stir well between each addition.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 10 minutes. Keep and eye out for any over browning at the edges. You want the flapjacks to be chewy but if they're over done they'll be crispy instead.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. After about 5 minutes, score into squares or triangles with a knife and leave to cool fully in the tin before turning out.